Saturday 7 September 2013

Bolink Beetle body


I picked up a Bolink VW Beetle body from a club member and thought it might be a bit of fun to run it on the Spec R S1 touring car.  I painted it up to match the touring car body I'm currently running, and installed a HPI wing on the roof for a bit of rear end down force. This was the only mounting position as the rear of the shell doesn't have enough space to add a wing.  Here is the Beetle beside the touring car shell :-


Appearance wise, the shell got a lot of positive comments, and it does look great on the track.  Surprisingly, in-spite of negative comments from clubmates, the Beetle body handled very well, and resulted in a car with quite a bit of turn-in, and good rear end grip.  I ran three heats with the shell, and won all three races. For the last heat, I changed back to the touring car body for a comparison, but unfortunately I wasn't able to compare much as I had a couple of technical problems with the car.  However, fastest lap times were only a difference of 0.05sec in favour of the touring car shell.  So all in all, I'm quite happy with the Beetle shell and will run it more in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment