Wednesday 28 May 2014

Spec R S1 Upgrade using aluminium parts - part 2

Following on from the review of the alloy upgrades which I added to my Spec R S1 car, I have now run the car a couple of times.

I initially found the car to handle slightly different from the plastic version. I made some changes, including the addition of a front sway bar. I settled on a set up which I have posted in the set up sheets section of the blog.

The changes have made a good car better, giving a more solid feel to it.  One difficulty I had with the plastic car was achieving a balance between turn-in and under steer, and rotation and oversteer. The alloy car has allowed me to achieve a good balance while cornering for both.  The aluminium upgrades will no doubt make the car more reliable as the aluminium will not strip in the way that the plastic parts have.

I am happy with the car, but after reading comments on forums and speaking to fellow racers, I am planning on trying the car with thicker oil in the front diff. I understand that this will provide a performance similar to a spool, with more pull out of corners and quicker cornering speed.  I will provide feedback of the results in another blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment