Friday 27 June 2014

HD diff and thicker oil !

Having recently upgraded the S1 with the aluminium bulkheads and suspension mounts, I decided to try out thicker oil in the front diff and thinner in the rear one. Upon re-assembling and running the car, I found the gears had worn in the diff. I stripped and re-assembled the diff with an additional shim.  When I ran the car, the front diff was extremely tight. Upon stripping the diff, I found the inner casing to have worn away, jamming the gears.


You can see where the casing has worn which caused the shims to be very tight, preventing the diff from rotating freely.

I ordered the new HD diff and fitted it with 1,000,000 thickness oil to replace the 300,000, adding 2,000 to the rear to replace the 5k.

I ran the car at my regular club and found the handling to be a little loose, although the thicker oil in the front gave the car extra pull out of corners, and handled the sweeper at the end of the straight really well, allowing me to pull off some passes down the inside. I moved the front shocks out one hole to improve rear end handling, and this made a big difference, although I'll make further adjustments to make the car more stable.

I hope this has been informative, and I'll report my further progress in future blogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment