Sunday 17 August 2014

Set up progress

As you have read in previous posts, I've been working on the set up of the upgraded S1 after changing the oils in both diffs. I recently had two really poor outings at my local club and another which we occasionally visit. I found the car was hooking, almost handbrake turning into tight corners which made it difficult to drive.  I decided that the car needed a strip down, clean up and re-build. This was duely done with all suspension parts removed and cleaned, shocks cleaned and oils checked, and a couple of changes made to the car :


  • Changed front springs from Xray silver to Xray blue to calm the car down
  • Changed rear diff oil back to 5000 thickness
  • Front suspension toe blocks changed to 0degrees from the 1degree ones
  • Front camber changed from -2degrees to -1


I took the car to the track last Thursday and the change was amazing. I comfortably won my three heats with really quick times, and am confident my times would have challenged the fast lads had I been in a quicker heat and not had to overtake back markers on most laps, including a buggy ( everyone has to race somewhere !!). My fastest lap was 0.2 slower that the fastest drivers, but I could see on the rest of my lap times where I had encountered back markers with up to half a second being added to the lap times.

The car was planted and predictable, and I was able to place the car exactly where I wanted it on the track, and was able to go really close to the corners on the tight track which had a number of 180degree corners. I have added the set up sheet in the set up sheet area of the blog.

I look forward to my next race this week where I hope I can get a bit closer to the faster drivers. I will video the races next time and add some footage to the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment