Wednesday 16 July 2014

Spec R gear diff updates

Following recent issues with the Spec R diffs, a strip down & re-build was in order. I contemplated reverting back to the previous oils, but thought twice about it as I was clear in my mind that the thicker oil up front and thinner in the rear was the way to go. I was still struggling for rear end grip, particularly under braking, so drag brake was taken off the speed controller settings. I also changed the front anti-roll bar from a 1.2 to a 1.4 to stiffen the front up a bit. This improved things slightly, but there was still room for improvement. A second pair of eyes was called for, and a club mate suggested a roll centre change.  I changed the inner rear camber link height to 2mm from 4, and front to 3 from 1.  I also shortened the rear camber links from position 3 to the most inner, position 2. These changes had the desired effect as the excess roll in the front had been making the front of the car dig in, causing an imbalance. The rear now had more of a camber change during cornering which produces more rear end grip.  The car was now much better balanced but unfortunately I only got it sorted in the last heat, when a crash took me out of the race with a stripped ball joint.

The overheating problems I had suffered have now disappeared following the re-build, and I look forward to racing again this week so I can work more on the set up.

I've posted a new set up sheet in the set up sheets section of the blog which show the changes made from the previous set-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment